Come experience Limestone Canyon’s beauty from the back of your horse. Designated trails will be open for self-guided access hiking, biking, and equestrian use during Wilderness Access Day in Limestone Canyon. Equestrian riders who have trail riding experience with a fit and able horse will enjoy the historic ranch roads of days gone by. Take in the awe-inspiring vistas from the mighty ridge tops and drink in the cool canyon shade through the oak grove.
There is limited space for equestrian parking, carpooling is strongly encouraged. Riders must also have the ability to transport their horse to the staging area. It is a “first come, first serve” for trailer parking and therefore pre-registration and early arrival is HIGHLY recommended. Major crowds are typically present at the very start of the event.
Do not stop or park anywhere along Santiago Canyon Road. THE ENTRANCE GATE WILL NOT OPEN UNTIL 8am. Please plan your drive accordingly. Anyone stopped or parked along Santiago Canyon Road prior to the opening will be subject to citation. Thank you for your cooperation with regards to the safety of everyone on the road. The continued offering of this program depends upon your compliance to this request.
All participants are requested to check-in and complete their registration at the Augustine Staging Area prior to accessing the trail system. Please dismount your horse to check-in. Trail routes vary in distance and level of difficulty with choices ranging from easy one-hour walks to strenuous 15-mile cardio treks. Visiting “The Sinks” is a 9-mile round trip hike over moderate terrain and can take the majority of the designated event time.
Participants are required to stay on designated trails at all times. In addition to being a rare and sensitive habit, the Irvine Ranch Open Space is under strict protection. There are often unseen dangers just off-trail including, but not limited to: mountain lions, poison oak, ticks, poisonous spiders, and venomous snakes. OC Parks Rangers may issue citations for visitors found off-trail.
Other Important Notes:
- OC Park Rangers require all trails to be cleared for closure by 2:00pm.
- As an equestrian rider, please email firstname.lastname@example.org at least 72 hours prior to the eventso that we may verify whether your trailer can be accommodated in our parking configuration. Trailer parking is very limited and is subject to “first come, first served.”
- No new trail users will be permitted onto the trails at least one hour prior to closing.
- Minors, ages 18 and under, should be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Adult equestrians are requested to wear helmets. Minors are required to wear helmets per state law.
- Inclement weather or fire danger will cause the program to be cancelled.
- Trail maps and day use badge will be provided upon check in.
To minimize the human impact on wildlife and their habitat, there may be unannounced trail closures or the rotation of areas being open and closed. This is an adaptive management approach to accommodate both the human users and the wildlife needs.
Registration is closed for this activity.