Join us for a morning walk to one of the Irvine Ranch Natural Landmarks’ iconic geologic features. We will walk out to the red-faced cliffs of Black Star Canyon. The early morning light from the sun will make for striking pictures of this geological treat. We will cross the dry Silverado Creek and examine its effects on the local geology. Then, we will stop at the red rock cliffs and discuss its formation and its future. Finally, we will stop at an alluvial fan and talk about how it came to be. This hike is geared towards families with curious minds.
The trail is an easy, flat ranch road, but the creek crossing is very rocky. Please bring water and all items needed to keep you safe during our walk. Hats and sunscreen are highly recommended as there is no shade along this route. Closed-toe shoes are a must.
Reviewing the 1-through-5 Difficulty Ratings will help you evaluate your readiness to participate in this level-2 activity on the land.
Please note that you will be asked to adhere to the following protective measures during the activity in order to participate:
- Each individual adult must bring with them a signed liability waiver. Minors may be added to the waiver of their respective parent or legal guardian. The form will not be available on site.
- The waiver can be accessed and downloaded for print at home use here: IRC Liability Waiver 2020.05
- Be registered in advance, no walk-up registration is permitted.
- Arrive with all necessary equipment to keep you safe on the trail, including water, proper attire, and closed-toe footwear, first aid, health needs etc.
- Restrooms will be available, but facilities will not be sanitized for each individual.
- You may be prevented from participating if you do not adhere to the above protocols.
Additionally, in an effort to respect and protect all employees, volunteers, and participants, please do not sign up or attend if you are not feeling well, exhibiting any symptoms of illness or have been in recent contact with someone who was ill.
To learn more about the staging areas and activity locations, please visit our Staging Areas Playlist page.
Registration is closed for this activity.