Do the majestic oak trees found in our local wild lands fascinate you? Would you like to know more about them, their survival techniques and the relationships they have with the wildlife that resides here? Then come out on this hike in Weir Canyon where we will observe and learn about the wonderful oaks in our ecosystem. This will be a moderate hike and a highly interpretive activity. There will be several stops along our 7-mile round trip journey into the lower and upper portions of Weir Canyon, revered for its protected oak woodlands.
Please come prepared with a sturdy day pack, water, snacks, closed-toe hiking shoes or boots, first aid, and all other supplies to keep you safe and healthy on the trail. All participants must carry their own day pack and water (minimum of 64 oz. recommended) and be comfortable hiking an average moving pace of 3 miles per hour. The canyon may be cool during the return portion of the hike, dressing in layers is advised.
Reviewing the 1-through-5 Difficulty Ratings will help you evaluate your readiness to participate in this level-3 activity on the land.
Please note that you will be asked to adhere to the following protective measures during the activity in order to participate:
- Each individual adult must bring with them a signed liability waiver. Minors may be added to the waiver of their respective parent or legal guardian. The form will not be available on site.
- The waiver can be accessed and downloaded for print at home use here: IRC Liability Waiver 2020.05
- Be registered in advance, no walk-up registration is permitted.
- Arrive with all necessary equipment to keep you safe on the trail, including water, proper attire, and closed-toe footwear, first aid, health needs etc.
- Restrooms will be available, but facilities will not be sanitized for each individual.
- You may be prevented from participating if you do not adhere to the above protocols.
Additionally, in an effort to respect and protect all employees, volunteers, and participants, please do not sign up or attend if you are not feeling well, exhibiting any symptoms of illness or have been in recent contact with someone who was ill.
To learn more about the staging areas and activity locations, please visit our Staging Areas Playlist page.
Registration is closed for this activity.