Experience the wonders of two preserves located on the beautiful Irvine Ranch Natural Landmarks preserve located adjacent to Irvine Regional Park, Fremont and Weir Canyon. We begin our equestrian ride atop the Waterworks trail an old filled-in V ditch that served to water the vast acres of the old Irvine Ranch of Orange County. We parallel Santiago Creek and enter the mouth of Fremont Canyon where native flora and fauna abound and find refuge from the sprawling urban environment. We turn and head toward Weir Canyon along the MWD trail and find ourselves gaining elevation and on little hills. As we head into the canyons we find hawks overhead and the coastal sage scrub turn into chaparral. We may find wildflowers or native grasses sprouting and certainly, we will hear sounds from Irvine Park. Serenity will be found as we enter the quietness of Weir Canyon where Oaks abound and restoration continues where Ox carts once traversed. After travelling back in time, we make our way back to the park and toward our original starting point going through Lower Weir Canyon and back into the park.
This ride travels on wide trails and single tracks with several moderate to steeper climbs. Equestrians who have trail riding experience and their own fit and able horse are welcome. You will need to transport your horse to the staging area. Owners of unshod horses, please note that footing will include areas of gravel and distances over asphalt pavement. Please bring water on the ride.
Reviewing the 1-through-5 Difficulty Ratings will help you evaluate your readiness to participate in this level-4 activity on the land.
Please note that you will be asked to adhere to the following protective measures during the activity in order to participate:
- Each individual adult must bring with them a signed liability waiver. Minors may be added to the waiver of their respective parent or legal guardian. The form will not be available on site.
- The waiver can be accessed and downloaded for print at home use here: IRC Liability Waiver 2020.05
- Be registered in advance, no walk-up registration is permitted.
- Arrive with all necessary equipment to keep you safe on the trail, including water, proper attire, and closed-toe footwear, first aid, health needs etc.
- Restrooms will be available, but facilities will not be sanitized for each individual.
- You may be prevented from participating if you do not adhere to the above protocols.
Additionally, in an effort to respect and protect all employees, volunteers, and participants, please do not sign up or attend if you are not feeling well, exhibiting any symptoms of illness or have been in recent contact with someone who was ill.
Please review the Difficulty Ratings before registering. Understanding the 1-through-5 rating system will help you evaluate your readiness to participate in this level-4 activity on the land.
Registration is closed for this activity.