If you are new to mountain biking and interested in getting started the right way, or if you just want to hone your existing skills developing terrain-influenced bike handling over several types of man-made features, this is the clinic for you!
The class begins with a brief overview of rider fundamentals starting with platform position and weight transfer then covering equipment basics & setup, braking, gearing and a brief bike maintenance Q&A session followed by a series of exercises demonstrating terrain-influenced bike handling over a variety of man-made features including log piles, rock step-ups, A-frames and many more. These riding techniques will be taught and practiced at the Mountain Bike Skills Development area.
Reviewing the 1-through-5 Difficulty Ratings will help you evaluate your readiness to participate in this level-3 activity on the land.
Please note that you will be asked to adhere to the following protective measures during the activity in order to participate:
- Each individual adult must bring with them a signed liability waiver. Minors may be added to the waiver of their respective parent or legal guardian. The form will not be available on site.
- The waiver can be accessed and downloaded for print at home use here: IRC Liability Waiver 2020.05
- Be registered in advance, no walk-up registration is permitted.
- Arrive with all necessary equipment to keep you safe on the trail, including water, proper attire, and closed-toe footwear, first aid, health needs etc.
- Restrooms will be available, but facilities will not be sanitized for each individual.
- You may be prevented from participating if you do not adhere to the above protocols.
Additionally, in an effort to respect and protect all employees, volunteers, and participants, please do not sign up or attend if you are not feeling well, exhibiting any symptoms of illness or have been in recent contact with someone who was ill.
For the safety of all participants, this activity has an age requirement of 16 years old and above.
Mandatory requirements – no exceptions:
-Mountain bike with minimum wheel size of 26″
-Seat narrow enough that the rider can shift upper body backwards behind the saddle
-Front and rear brakes in good working order
-Front suspension fork
-Helmet, gloves and eye protection
-Age 16 to 17 must have a parent or guardian in attendance and participating with minor
-Motorized recreation vehicles of any class or type are not permitted for recreational use.
If participants’ equipment and/or bicycle are absent, or in poor working order, the activity leader maintains discretion to immediately deny participation for safety reasons.
This activity originates in the City of Irvine and travels into OC Parks’ Limestone Canyon Nature Preserve.
To learn more about the staging areas and activity locations, please visit our Staging Areas Playlist page.
Registration is closed for this activity.