A slow-paced beginner mountain bike ride for adults in Limestone Canyon, part of OCParks’ Irvine Ranch Open Space, through sycamores, oaks, and habitat native to California. The route takes us to The Sinks, Orange County’s own mini “Grand Canyon.” Along the way, we will stop and talk about the local habitat, and hope to see some of our local native animals and raptors. For mountain bikers with a minimum of six months of trail experience who would like to join IRC-certified volunteers on an 8 – 9-mile ride with 400 – 800 feet of elevation gain. This ride is for adult riders only. Allow up to 2.5 hours of riding time.
Reviewing the 1-through-5 Difficulty Ratings will help you evaluate your readiness to participate in this level-3 activity on the land. Please visit our FAQ page for answers to activity specific questions you may have prior to registering. Motorized recreation vehicles of any class or type are not permitted for use in the Nature Preserve.
The trail is a wide dirt fire road with natural hazards like sand, tree roots, ruts, rocks, dry creek crossings, and small hills. We will ride at the slowest rider’s pace, with stops for resting, regrouping and/or interpretation. Some trail side bike repair knowledge is appreciated. To be able to ride with the group, six months of trail experience is required. Riders need to have ridden in areas such as Peter’s Canyon, Chino Hills Telegraph Canyon, El Moro Canyon, and Aliso Woods. Riders must be able to ride 10 miles on gradual uphill and downhill terrain. Riders must have their own mountain bike, helmet, 100 oz of water, and snacks. Please do not bring road bikes, beach cruisers, BMX bikes, electric or motorized bikes, or attachments to your bike.
Please note that you will be asked to adhere to the following measures in order to participate:
- Be registered in advance, no walk-up registration is permitted.
- Arrive with all necessary equipment to keep you safe on the trail, including water, proper attire, and closed-toe footwear, first aid, health needs etc.
- Restrooms will be available, but facilities will not be sanitized for each individual.
- All participants are required to sign a liability waiver upon arrival at the staging area and before beginning the activity. The waiver can be previewed here: IRC Liability Waiver
- You may be prevented from participating if you do not adhere to the above protocols.
Additionally, in an effort to respect and protect all employees, volunteers, and participants, please do not sign up or attend if you are not feeling well, exhibiting any symptoms of illness or have been in recent contact with someone who was ill.
To learn more about the staging areas and activity locations, please visit our Staging Areas Playlist page.
Registration is closed for this activity.