Enjoy the relaxation of riding in the wilderness on empty trails. Join us on this docent-led mountain bike ride through Limestone Canyon, part of OCParks’ Irvine Ranch Open Space. We will visit Dripping Springs which is a fern covered, year-round source of water for the local wildlife. The ride will also stop at the west viewing deck for the Sinks. This is a slow-paced ride designed for the beginner that has experience riding fire roads such as Limestone Canyon or Telegraph Canyon but wants to develop their climbing and riding abilities. The ride can also be enjoyed by more advanced riders looking for a relaxed ride in a beautiful setting.
Reviewing the 1-through-5 Difficulty Ratings will help you evaluate your readiness to participate in this level-3 activity on the land. Please visit our FAQ page for answers to activity specific questions you may have prior to registering. Motorized recreation vehicles of any class or type are not permitted for use in the Nature Preserve.
The ride will start by climbing Hicks Haul Road and continues climbing on East Loma where there are a couple of short sections that may be hike-a-bike for some riders. The ride then descends the non-technical Dripping Springs single track and finishes by riding to/from the Sinks on Limestone Canyon Road. The ride will regroup, and rest as needed, and an opportunity will be provided for a snack break. Please note, the ride is approximately 13 miles long, with approximately 1200 feet of elevation gain. This program originates at the Augustine Staging area off Santiago Canyon Road and the entire route is in the Limestone Canyon Nature Preserve.
Please note that you will be asked to adhere to the following measures in order to participate:
- Be registered in advance, no walk-up registration is permitted.
- Arrive with all necessary equipment to keep you safe on the trail, including water, proper attire, and closed-toe footwear, first aid, health needs etc.
- Restrooms will be available, but facilities will not be sanitized for each individual.
- All participants are required to sign a liability waiver upon arrival at the staging area and before beginning the activity. The waiver can be previewed here: IRC Liability Waiver
- You may be prevented from participating if you do not adhere to the above protocols.
Additionally, in an effort to respect and protect all employees, volunteers, and participants, please do not sign up or attend if you are not feeling well, exhibiting any symptoms of illness or have been in recent contact with someone who was ill.