Come enjoy a fast-paced early morning hike in Fremont Canyon Nature Preserve, part of OCParks’ Irvine Ranch Open Space. Our hike climbs steeply from the mouth of Fremont Canyon, past an abandoned coal mine up to the Fremont Weather Station where winds have been clocked at up to 100 mph. After enjoying the view, we’ll hike back the same way to our starting point. This hike involves steep hills and a 1200’ elevation change but the rewards are panoramic views of Orange County, the Santa Ana Mountains and surrounding areas as well as possible wildlife sightings. Please arrive 15 minutes early and come prepared with a sturdy day pack, water, snacks, closed-toe hiking shoes or boots, sunscreen, first aid, and all other supplies to keep you safe and healthy on the trail.
Reviewing the 1-through-5 Difficulty Ratings will help you evaluate your readiness to participate in this level-4 activity on the land. Please visit our FAQ page for answers to activity specific questions you may have prior to registering.
Please note that you will be asked to adhere to the following measures during the activity in order to participate:
- Be registered in advance, no walk-up registration is permitted.
- Arrive with all necessary equipment to keep you safe on the trail, including water, proper attire, and closed-toe footwear, first aid, health needs etc.
- Restrooms will be available, but facilities will not be sanitized for each individual.
- All participants are required to sign a liability waiver upon arrival at the staging area and before beginning the activity. The waiver can be previewed here: IRC Liability Waiver
- You may be prevented from participating if you do not adhere to the above protocols.
Additionally, in an effort to respect and protect all employees, volunteers, and participants, please do not sign up or attend if you are not feeling well, exhibiting any symptoms of illness or have been in recent contact with someone who was ill.
Each participant must carry his or her own day pack and water and be comfortable hiking an average moving pace of 3 miles per hour.
Please make sure you have a minimum of 70oz. (2 quarts) of water.
Under prepared participants may be denied access to this program.
To learn more about the staging areas and activity locations, please visit our Staging Areas Playlist page.
Registration is closed for this activity..