Join us as we explore the Irvine Open Space Preserve on this hike through Bommer and Shady Canyons. We’ll begin at the Cattle Camp, where ranch equipment of old still stands. After a steep ascent on the East Fork trail, we’ll make our way across part of Serrano Ridge and descend into Shady Canyon to the Butterfly Valley trail. Here, you’ll experience some of the most mature Coastal Sage Scrub in all of Orange County. After a short stop we’ll return the same way. Total round trip distance is 9 miles with an elevation gain of 1500 feet at an average moving rate of 2.5 miles per hour. All participants must carry their own water! Please come prepared with a pack, plenty of water, snacks, sturdy closed-toe hiking shoes or boots, sunscreen, first aid, and all other supplies to keep you safe and healthy on the trail. Under-prepared participants may be denied access to the event!
Reviewing the 1-through-5 Difficulty Ratings will help you evaluate your readiness to participate in this level-4 activity on the land. Please visit our FAQ page for answers to activity specific questions you may have prior to registering.
Please note that you will be asked to adhere to the following measures in order to participate:
- Be registered in advance, no walk-up registration is permitted.
- Arrive with all necessary equipment to keep you safe on the trail, including water, proper attire, and closed-toe footwear, first aid, health needs etc.
- Restrooms will be available, but facilities will not be sanitized for each individual.
- All participants are required to sign a liability waiver upon arrival at the staging area and before beginning the activity. The waiver can be previewed here: IRC Liability Waiver
- You may be prevented from participating if you do not adhere to the above protocols.
Additionally, in an effort to respect and protect all employees, volunteers, and participants, please do not sign up or attend if you are not feeling well, exhibiting any symptoms of illness or have been in recent contact with someone who was ill.
Registration is closed for this activity.