Please note: Pre-Registration for this event is required due to limited parking capacity.
Pre-Registration will open on July 8, 2017 and close on August 4, 2017.
Start your weekend off by exploring the endless opportunities found throughout magnificent Limestone Canyon. Designated trails will be open for self-guided trail use in OC Parks’ Irvine Ranch Open Space. Trail routes vary in distance and level of difficulty with choices ranging from easy one-hour walks to strenuous 15-mile cardio treks. Whether traveling by feet, hooves or wheels, Wilderness Access Day in Limestone Canyon is a treasure waiting to be discovered by hikers, equestrians and mountain bikers alike.
All participants are requested to check-in and complete their registration at the Augustine Staging Area prior to accessing the trail system. The highly popular “The Sinks” is a 9-mile round trip hike over moderate terrain and can take the majority of the designated event time.
Please do not stop or park anywhere along Santiago Canyon Road. The entrance gate will not open until 8am. Anyone stopped or parked along Santiago Canyon Road prior to the opening will be subject to citation. Thank you for your cooperation with regards to the safety of everyone on the road. Please plan your drive accordingly.
Participants are required to stay on designated trails at all times. In addition to being a rare and sensitive habit, the Irvine Ranch Open Space is under strict protection. There are often unseen dangers just off-trail including, but not limited to: mountain lions, poison oak, ticks, poisonous spiders, and venomous snakes. OC Parks Rangers may issue citations for visitors found off-trail so for your safety, please stay on the designated paths during your stay in Limestone Canyon.
Other Important Notes:
- OC Park Rangers require all trails to be cleared for closure by 2:00pm.
- No new trail users will be permitted onto the trails at least one hour prior to closing.
- Dogs are prohibited on the Irvine Ranch Open Space. No matter how cute yours may be, by nature, dogs are predators; their presence and their lingering scent disturb the indigenous wildlife and disrupt vital routines long after a dog has left the area.
- Minors, ages 18 and under, should be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Adult mountain bikers and equestrians are requested to wear helmets. Minors are required to wear helmets per state law.
- If you are an equestrian, there is a separate registration designated for you found at www.LetsGoOutside.org/activities and click under “Wilderness Access Day – Equestrians.” Once registered, please email email@example.com at least 72 hours prior to the event so that we may verify whether your trailer can be accommodated in our parking configuration. Trailer parking is very limited and is subject to “first come, first served.”
- Inclement weather or fire danger will cause the program to be cancelled.
Multi-use trail etiquette: Please Remember that bikers yield to hikers and that bikers and hikers yield to equestrians. Click here for more trail tips.
To minimize the human impact on wildlife and their habitat, there may be unannounced trail closures or the rotation of areas being open and closed. This is an adaptive management approach to accommodate both the human users and the wildlife needs.
There are other activities nestled within Wilderness Access Day that you, your family and friends may enjoy. An interpretive booth with fun hands-on items is available each month to help better connect your experiences to the great outdoors. Also, there is a separate guided program that is led by IRC-Certified volunteers. If interested in joining this program, please register at www.LetsGoOutside.org/activities and click under “Explore Limestone Canyon.” You will need to sign in on the Explore Limestone Canyon roster upon your arrival.
Registration is closed for this activity.