Start your weekend off by exploring numerous opportunities found throughout magnificent Limestone Canyon. Designated trails will be open for self-guided trail use in OC Parks’ Irvine Ranch Open Space. Trail routes vary in distance and level of difficulty with choices ranging from easy one-hour walks to strenuous 15-mile cardio treks. Whether traveling by feet, hooves or wheels, Wilderness Access Day in Limestone Canyon is a treasure waiting to be discovered by hikers, equestrians and mountain bikers alike.
Pre-registration is not required for this event, though it is available on the website. If you need driving directions, please use the online registration to receive a map and instructions for getting to the Augustine Staging Area. The staging area will be available for parking on a first come, first served basis, but please take note that your vehicle must be removed from the area by 2:00 pm. Registration does not guarantee entry to the event. You will not be required to sign-in upon arrival, though an information booth with trail maps will be available in the staging area. Please be sure to pick up a day use pass at the trail entry gates prior to heading out for your hike or ride. Participants found to be on the trails without a pass will be turned back to the staging area immediately.
Do not stop or park anywhere along Santiago Canyon Road. The entrance gate will not open until 8am. Anyone stopped or parked along Santiago Canyon Road prior to the opening will be subject to citation. Thank you for your cooperation with regards to the safety of everyone on the road. Please plan your drive accordingly.
Participants are required to stay on designated trails at all times. In addition to being a rare and sensitive habit, the Irvine Ranch Open Space is under strict protection. There are often unseen dangers just off-trail including, but not limited to: mountain lions, poison oak, ticks, poisonous spiders, and venomous snakes. OC Parks Rangers may issue citations for visitors found off-trail so for your safety, please stay on the designated paths during your stay in Limestone Canyon.
Other Important Notes:
- Visiting the highly popular “The Sinks” is a 9-mile round trip hike over moderate terrain and can take the majority of the designated event time.
- OC Park Rangers require all trails to be cleared for closure by 2:00pm.
- No new trail users will be permitted onto the trails at least one hour prior to closing.
- Dogs are prohibited on the Irvine Ranch Open Space. No matter how cute yours may be, by nature, dogs are predators; their presence and their lingering scent disturb the indigenous wildlife and disrupt vital routines long after a dog has left the area.
- Minors, ages 18 and under, should be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Adult mountain bikers and equestrians are requested to wear helmets. Minors are required to wear helmets per state law.
- If you are an equestrian, there is a separate registration designated for you found at www.LetsGoOutside.org/activities and click under “Wilderness Access Day – Equestrians.” Once registered, please email firstname.lastname@example.org at least 72 hours prior to the event so that we may verify whether your trailer can be accommodated in our parking configuration. Trailer parking is very limited and is subject to “first come, first served.”
- Inclement weather or fire danger will cause the program to be cancelled.
Multi-use trail etiquette: Please Remember that bikers yield to hikers and that bikers and hikers yield to equestrians. Click here for more trail tips.
To minimize the human impact on wildlife and their habitat, there may be unannounced trail closures or the rotation of areas being open and closed. This is an adaptive management approach to accommodate both the human users and the wildlife needs.
Registration is closed for this activity.