Pre-Registration for this event is required.
All participants are required to have a printed copy of their confirmation form to show through the window of their vehicle to drive through the entry gate.
You will need the confirmation form for you and your guests to enter the trail system. There will NOT be a registration table on site.
Please print your auto-generated confirmation email from letsgooutside.org before you arrive.
11 AM Entry Wilderness Access Day: Limestone Canyon
When you are unable to maintain 6′ of distance, a facial covering will be required on the trail system. Tips for your safety and others during COVID-19 can be found below.
Start your weekend off by exploring numerous opportunities found throughout magnificent Limestone Canyon. Designated trails will be open for self-guided trail use in OC Parks’ Irvine Ranch Open Space. Trail routes vary in distance and level of difficulty with choices ranging from easy one-hour walks to strenuous 15-mile cardio treks. Whether traveling by feet, hooves, or wheels, Wilderness Access Day in Limestone Canyon is a treasure waiting to be discovered by hikers, equestrians and mountain bikers alike. A new map is attached to your confirmation as some trails will be designated as one-way only due to COVID-19 guidelines.
Participants will want to plan their day successfully by using Trail Tips on preparing for your hike.
Note: If you are planning to visit one of the highly popular “Sinks” decks the use of a facial covering will be required to gain entry.
- Maintain proper physical distancing, a minimum of 6 feet, between yourself and all other participants at all times.
- A contact-less arrival system will be utilized to diminish touching and sharing items. There will be no on-site registration table. Bring your confirmation. You are required to show your confirmation from your vehicle window upon entry at the gate.
- Please bring plenty of water as there are no facilities in this wilderness setting on the trails and water will not be available at the staging area.
- Rule of thumb: 1 liter or 32 ounces per hour, per person.
- For longer or more strenuous hikes, carry a backpack or waist pack that can accommodate the amount of water you will need.
- Please follow all County and State guidelines for COVID-19. You can learn more about facial covering guidelines here: Orange County Health Care Agency Guidelines
- Please do not plan to gather, stopping to eat, or meet in groups.
- There will be multiple one-way directional signs on the trail system. Please take the time to plan your route before you arrive. Follow the signs on the trails for the safety of all trail users at the event. Thank you for your cooperation. LimeWADmap_OneWaytrailsAug2020
- Arrive with all necessary equipment to keep you safe on the trail, proper attire, and footwear, first aid, medications, hand sanitizer, recommended facial covering, etc.
- Restrooms will be available at the staging area only, but facilities will not be sanitized for each individual.
Please plan your day accordingly to all the guidelines provided.
Do not stop or park anywhere along Santiago Canyon Road. Anyone stopped or parked along Santiago Canyon Road prior to the opening will be subject to citation. Thank you for your cooperation with regard to the safety of everyone on the road. Please plan your drive accordingly.
Participants are required to stay on designated trails at all times. In addition to being a rare and sensitive habit, the Irvine Ranch Open Space is under strict protection. There are often unseen dangers just off-trail including, but not limited to: mountain lions, poison oak, ticks, poisonous spiders, and venomous snakes. IRC Volunteers will be on the trail to call the rangers for assistance, but will not be available to provide naturalist interpretation assistance. OC Parks Rangers may issue citations for visitors found off-trail so for your safety, please stay on the designated paths during your stay in Limestone Canyon.
Other Important Notes:
- Visiting the highly popular “The Sinks” is a 9-mile round trip hike over moderate terrain and can take the majority of the designated event time. (Facial Coverings are required to visit the decks)
- There will be staggered reservation starting times. Be sure to check your reservation time before arrival.
- OC Park Rangers require all trails to be cleared for closure by 2:00pm.
- No new trail users will be permitted onto the trails at least one hour prior to closing.
- Dogs are prohibited on the Irvine Ranch Open Space. No matter how cute yours may be, by nature, dogs are predators; their presence and their lingering scent disturb the indigenous wildlife and disrupt vital routines long after a dog has left the area.
- Minors, ages 18 and under, must be registered by a parent or guardian.
- Adult mountain bikers and equestrians are requested to wear helmets. Minors are required to wear helmets per state law.
- If you are an equestrian, there is a separate registration designated for you found at www.LetsGoOutside.org/activities and click under “Wilderness Access Day – Equestrians.” Once registered, please email email@example.com at least 72 hours prior to the event so that we may verify whether your trailer can be accommodated in our parking configuration. Trailer parking is very limited and is subject to “first come, first served.”
- Inclement weather or fire danger will cause the program to be cancelled.
Multi-use trail etiquette: Please Remember that bikers yield to hikers and that bikers and hikers yield to equestrians. Click here for more trail tips.
To minimize the human impact on wildlife and their habitat, there may be unannounced trail closures or the rotation of areas being open and closed. This is an adaptive management approach to accommodate both the human users and wildlife needs.
To learn more about the staging areas and activity locations, please visit our Staging Areas Playlist page.
Registration is closed for this activity.